The latest edition of Gripped Magazine profiles Yamnuska’s Associate Director, Barry Blanchard’s ‘Top 10 Rockies Fat Ice Moderates’.
When the good people at Gripped wanted to do an article on Rockies Ice climbing routes, they sought out the master himself. Barry has extensive knowledge of virtually every ice route in the Rockies, he is a credible source for anything climbing and we are proud he is profiled in this edition of Gripped. Without ruining the story that is attached to each climb (definitely buy the magazine for the full skinny), here is what Barry picked as his Top 10.
Source: Blanchard, B. (2011, Jan 12). Rockies Fat Ice Moderates. Gripped. V12.06, (28-33)
- Moonlight III WI 4 110m, Snowline III WI 4 100m: Kananaskis Valley, AB
- Pretty Nuts II WI 4 180m: Kicking Horse Canyon, BC
- Takakkaw Falls V WI 4 250m: Yoho National Park, BC
- The Professor Falls III WI 4 280m: Banff National Park, AB
- This House of Sky III WI 3-4+ 500m: Ghost River, AB
- Elliot Left-Hand Gully III WI 4 200m: David Thompson Highway, AB
- Bow Falls III WI 3-4 95m: Banff National Park
- Weeping Wall Left Hand II WI 4 180m: Banff National Park
- Lucifer V WI 4+ 100m: Castle River, Southern Alberta
If you take a course from Yamnuska there is a good chance Barry will be your guide but if you want to climb one of these routes privately with him, just complete this request form or give us a call.